What is Qualcomm Thinkabit Lab?
The Qualcomm® Thinkabit Lab™ provides students with a unique STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) experience and exposure to careers they may not know exist. It also provides an opportunity for educators to learn best practices for engaging students in STEM. Students engage in hands-on engineering activities that involve problem-solving, creativity and collaboration. With the Thinkabit Lab experience, we are inspiring a new generation of tinkerers and inventors who will build on the foundation of 5G to invent the unimagined. To learn more, download our Qualcomm Thinkabit Lab Overview.
Why is Qualcomm committed to exposing students to STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) education?
As a company of inventors and technologists, we care deeply about STEM. It is part of who we are and the foundation for everything we do. We are committed to contributing to a successful, robust, diverse and expanding pool of talent in STEM fields. Therefore, we invest in sustainable, STEM programs that reach, inspire and engage students of all ages, at all levels and from all backgrounds. We expose them to STEM concepts and careers that are essential to tomorrow’s workforce, not only at Qualcomm, but in every aspect of building the wireless, Internet of Things (IoT) and 5G ecosystems.
How many students and teachers have you hosted at the Qualcomm Thinkabit Lab in San Diego?
Since opening in 2014, the Thinkabit Lab at our San Diego headquarters has:
• Promoted STEM career awareness to more than 14,000 students, teachers and parents
• Hosted more than 500 classes and camps
• Built more than 7,000 robotic crafts.
• Collaborated with 16 school districts
How can I learn about Thinkabit Lab updates throughout the year?
To receive updates from Thinkabit Lab, please sign up for our e-newsletter.
What are Qualcomm’s goals for the Thinkabit Lab?
Our goal for Thinkabit Lab is to inspire the next generation of inventors. We want to demystify engineering and the possibilities of being an inventor; and to guide students through activities where they can unlock their unique talents and see the careers that are open to them . The Thinkabit Lab team defines success as students leaving every day feeling a new self-confidence that a STEM career may be in their future, and an understanding that STEM concepts are found in many careers.
How does Thinkabit Lab serve the community at large?
Thinkabit Lab is committed to building collaborations with public- and private-sector organizations throughout San Diego.
- From 2014 to 2018, the Thinkabit Lab hosted more than 14,000 students, teachers, and community members for a hands-on experience with engineering and the Qualcomm® World of Work, implemented by Qualcomm employees with STEM and education backgrounds.
- From 2014 to 2018, in collaboration with the Institute of International Education, we implemented one to two-week summer camp experiences. In total, more than 180 middle school students participated in these summer camp experiences over 5 summers.
- From 2015 to 2018, we collaborated with the American Association of University Women to host a total of more than 75 girls for a week-long experience with robotics through their TechTrek summer camp program.
We no longer have the capacity to host students on-site at our Qualcomm offices in San Diego. We do, however, have a Thinkabit Lab ambassador program and can have a Qualcomm employee come to your site or chat via Skype for a speakership. We also utilize our Ambassadors to participate in local San Diego events. To request a Qualcomm employee for a speakership or event, please use this link to complete a survey with details of the event.
Do you have any other cornerstone facilities besides your headquarters in San Diego?
In 2016 and 2017, we helped launch 4 new cornerstone sites:
- Together, these sites have reached over 22,000 students to date
Since launching our Thinkabit Lab expansion initiative in 2015, we have supported over 20 schools across the United States to implement our signature Thinkabit Lab activities.
How can we collaborate with you to create a Thinkabit Lab experience?
We’re excited about your interest to create a Qualcomm® Thinkabit Lab™ experience for your students, and we have a program to help you do just that. We would love to talk with you and learn more about your organization, interests and goals. For step-by-step guidance on the process, including information about our free Thinkabit Lab toolkit that will be available to you to access our signature activities, suggestions for space setup, and all of the resources and collateral you’ll need to create a Thinkabit Lab experience for your students please email ContactThinkabitLab@qualcomm.com.